October 11, 2005

Why I hate to lend people CDs

Before I go into the crux of this post, let me just say that the previous post was meant to address the "concerns" of some people. It wasn't meant to be emotional (感性) or anything, or that kind of "I-am-coming-to-terms-with-my-feelings-so-yeah" post. Actually it's a really lengthy way of saying "I was playing a game with you, tried to stop but couldn't help it; I'm really okay" kinda thing. Yep. Hope that clears up some misinterpretations.

Yup on to the main thing I want to clarify once and for all. I believe many of you know that I usually turn down offers to borrow my CDs. It's not because I'm selfish, stingy, or anything. It's basically because:

  1. CDs that are loaned out seldom return in the pristine condition they were originally in. I'm quite anal about such stuff, so I hate it when others borrow my CDs and get it all scratched as if they had used it as a coaster. The condition of the JJ CDs I recently lent out to a couple of pple proves my point. Or KC's Beyond CD, which is literally "in tatters". Or Aik's Linkin Park CD that was never returned (which reminds me of my LOTR book as well).
  2. I'm against piracy, especially when it comes to my idols' albums. I'd rather not listen to the music than download it off some illegal websites, or kope the CD from someone who has the original copy, or worse still, burnt copy. You can have a million good reasons as to "why", but I just need one good reason (or probably 2) to tell you "why not" - it's illegal and if no one's gonna support the originals, then there won't be any more good music. Don't complain that you have no money or aren't as rich as I am. Just dota less, K less, watch less movies, eat less expensive meals, etc. and you'll have ample money to buy one CD every month, which is what I do.
So if you're the kind who download 1 million songs and just buy one original album once in a blue, blue moon, don't bother asking me to lend you any CDs. There's a good chance I'd turn you down. I am not trying - and am in no position - to chastise you for the way you want to lead your life, but I just feel obliged to tell you that I don't agree with you. Also let me just say that I don't give it a damn if you say (or think) that I am a selfish bastard.