January 29, 2008

With regards to...

The "secrecy" surrounding my new job - I know a lot of people already know, and a particular big mouth already announced it on 'its' blog, but I hope those in the know would respect my right to some privacy. I don't have a problem with friends knowing, but I just don't want anybody and everybody (including stalkers) to know. Period.

As I've mentioned, I'd prefer a little more liberty to comment. Besides, I hope everyone is aware we're leaving a virtual trail, be it on blogs or Facebook, so be very wary of what you put up online because it could come back to haunt you in the future.


The Editorials - I agree with Relf, many of my contentions have to do with human nature, just as I've always espoused the "we are an imperfect species" argument. We are so prone to double standards and glaring flaws that we refuse to see in ourselves.

People ask me: what's the big deal if people laugh at you for not being able to drink, why take it so seriously? My answer to them: yeah, it's really no big deal. I guess my tone probably did come across as assertive/petty, but I'm only trying to point out some facts that people seem to selectively ignore - that it's in your genes, for example. So since you don't laugh at other people for being intellectually-challenged, why would you laugh at those who are "alcoholically-challenged"? I just feel an urge to question such double standards.

I guess I'm a little idealistic in this sense. When I say I believe in fairness and equality, it means just that. There should not be any discrepancies/exceptions.

Say, women (and increasingly, men as well) want sexual equality but most would never ask for girls to do NS as well. They demand gallantry from men, with no desire to reciprocate. For the record, I am all for sexual equality in every sense. So it's not that I'm against gallantry per se, but I just find it ironic because the notion of "ladies first" (one of the "pillars" of gallantry) in itself is not equal. Once again, double standards.

Society of majorities? Why, more double standards.

So I've come to conclude that the world, in itself, is unfair, so perhaps all these double standards will continue to exist, whether we recognise them or not.

Sometimes it's difficult to rationalize certain issues, especially when it concerns social/political sensitivities, or just plain human nature, but I'd rather think, reflect and question, than to resign myself to the circumstances.


My life now - life is pretty cool, I'm enjoying my new job, and the past few weeks have been pretty hectic. Many people are celebrating their 21st birthdays (I still don't see what's the big deal) and Miss Tan's church wedding reception was ... interesting. CNY's coming up and I'm stuffing myself with new year goodies, and trying to enjoy the festivities as much as possible since I'd probably miss it for the next 4 years. (Ouch!)