January 20, 2008

New job

First week at my new job was exciting, interacting with the 'clients' and trying very hard to look like I know what I'm doing. It feels kinda odd though, and I guess it's a job that comes with a couple of prerequisites: age and experience - qualities I don't really have in abundance.

No surprise then, that it'd take some time to earn the respect (if I ever do) and acceptance of those more cynical. I think I get more respect from my colleagues than from my 'clients'! Sigh, if only they knew my rates outside and the results I've produced, not that I want to brag. I don't intend to tell them any of that anyway, ever since I made the mistake of telling them where I came from, which is, in retrospect, rather insensitive and perhaps a little pompous - if you consider the geography.

But it's so much more interesting and fulfilling compared to my previous job. My colleagues give me pointers, not instructions on what to do like I'm some Tom/Dick/Harry who's only good for data entry and filing. I exaggerate of course, but the point is I just feel more useful because I'm valued for my knowledge and input during meetings, not for my mere existence which could have been easily substituted. And I get to knock off pretty much earlier too.

The catch is I have to wake up much earlier as well and endure the squeeze on the 'legendary' 961, which seems to not have improved in frequency nor on its tendencies to arrive late and incredibly crowded. I was seriously contemplating a complaint to SMRT until I saw the imminent Land Transport Review and decided the company won't have much longer to torment commuters anymore, anyway, if they continue with such abysmal service standards.

Well I'm doing my best amidst conflicting instructions and expectations, so let's see how it goes. I never thought I would so look forward to the next working week!

P.S. I'm not going to reveal the exact details of my new job on my blog to give myself a little more freedom to comment. Ask me in private if you're really interested.