March 9, 2006

POP-ed!

Well we all finally POP-ed yesterday, and hopefully I've seen the last of Tekong. For one, Pasir Ris is ridiculously far from my place by public transport (>1.5 hour journey), and having to take the shuttle+fast-craft every time we book in/out is a real hassle. Not to mention the hot sun (1 degree warmer than mainland on average) and terrible-tasting water (Tekong has its own water purification system).

In retrospect, BMT was a memorable experience because like they always say, you can only be a recruit once in your life, and it is when you enjoy certain privileges which will no longer be extended once you become a private. More importantly, I will remember my section mates whom I bathed, ate, slept, slacked and chiong-ed sua together with. It's them who made the stay on that dreaded island bearable, and I am glad to say that all 9 of them are worthy friends, albeit with their own undesirable antics and habits -

  • Richard the responsible section IC, helpful training buddy, and Azfar's favourite rec =X
  • Gerard the vain, PMS-prone, and great friend beside my bed
  • Luther the bed/basha buddy and ever-reliable best pal
  • JJ the outspoken and confident bloke
  • Leon the smart ass and slacking buddy
  • Kok Seong the OC Cougar P3S1, comical cock and source of all the fun and laughter
  • Justus the fit, cheerful buaya
  • Yao Peng the GAY and
  • Jonathan the ever helpful and caring fellow.
We are a small section (only 10 people and usually only a fraction fighting-fit), and the least outstanding in platoon 3, but we are also possibly the most closely-knitted precisely because of our size. I'm not sure if we'll have the opportunity to congregate again as we part ways after BMT, but I certainly hope our friendship can withstand the test of time.

Now it's back to CV life for 11 days before we get posted to our respective units/command school. Time to indulge in all the luxuries of being a civilian, and think about what I want to do with the rest of my life. Lots of decisions to make, and things to settle before I return to the hectic army lifestyle again. It's tough being human...