December 20, 2005

The Rule of Four

Thought the last entry was getting too long, so I'll post this as a separate entry.

I actually wanted to discuss this book that I finished recently, entitled "The Rule of Four". It's so called "the Da Vinci Code for smart people". I didn't read this book because of that punch line if that's what you're wondering. It's just that I really enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and wanted to see what I could get out of this book. Anw the plot isn't all that fantastic, neither is the writing. The latter critique is not meant in terms of substance (i.e. the vocab and the academic stuff discussed), where it totally trumps Dan Brown's writing (as expected coz the authors are from Princeton and Harvard), but in terms of style.

Whereas the Da Vinci Code gets your adrenaline pumping with vivid descriptions and exhilarating action coupled with controversial notions, the Rule of Four is relatively slow paced, and its storyline is propelled as much by the relationship of the protagonist and his 3 buddies as it is by the main plot about this ancient book that I still can't spell. Not that it's a bad thing, coz I was pretty inspired when I was reading the book, and there were many lines which I felt were quote-worthy.

Another interesting thing about this book is that it's written in the present tense. I dun take literature so I dunno what's the purpose of it, but it was pretty weird at first reading it coz every other novel I have come across is written in the past tense. Also, the story is set in Princeton, so perhaps ZR should take a look at it to get an idea of what Princeton is like. LOL. I find the Nude Olympics (which has been scraped according to the book at the end. what a pity) and eating clubs quite fascinating.