December 22, 2005

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Watched the movie today, didn't care much for the Christian allegory (no offence to Christians), but it's better than I thought! In fact, I would rate it above King Kong, on par with GOF, but still way below LOTR.

Most of the movie is set in the picturesque landscape of Narnia, with the transition from freezing snow to the warmth of sunshine being equally stunning. The CGI is also very well done, esp. Aslan, who must be the most majestic lion I've ever seen. His gaze is gentle and assuring, but firm and charismatic at the same time - certainly fit for a king. In fact I feel more for Aslan than I did for King Kong, partly also because Aslan can talk while Kong is nothing but a "stupid ape" like some in the movie call him. The battle scene was mediocre compared to the two in LOTR, but overall I was pretty impressed with the cinematographic effects. Also keep your ears open coz the soundtrack is fabulous!

But I thought the Pevensie children were miscast. Except Peter(William Moseley), none of Susan(Anna Popplewell), Edmund(Skandar Keynes) or Lucy(Georgie Henley) looked "cute". Esp. Susan, why can't they get a chio-er girl to play that role? (yes, I admit I'm superficial =P) She even had freckles, and so did Edmund. Henley was passable as Lucy, and her acting was commendable, but there are far cuter girls her age. That aside, Tilda Swinton (White Witch), James McAvoy(Mr Tumnus the Faun), Jim Broadbent(Prof. Kirke) and the beavers (cute!!!) were great. There's even a guest appearance by none other than Santa Claus (aka Father Christmas) himself!

There's Harry Potter and the POA on HBO tonight! Yeah, yet more fantasy to complete a fantastic day. =)