April 5, 2008

Tanned couch potato

Haven't been blogging much lately for a few reasons:

  1. The dearth of noteworthy movie and music releases
  2. Can't blog about my job without revealing too much
  3. Too much TV!
I've been spending a lot of time in front of the TV every night. A typical evening starts off with "TV dinner" at 7.30pm, variety programmes from 8 - 9pm, then “一房,半厅,一水缸” till 10pm, and “青蛙王子拜金女” wraps up the TV marathon. I'd read the papers or do some work in between, but other than that I'm fast developing into a couch potato with a figure to match.

Well you can't blame me for watching too much TV. I have been so deprived for the past 1.5 years! And Mediacorp has somehow managed to put out a string of hits in “破茧而出”,“黄金路” and now “一房,半厅,一水缸”.

Some might think the latter is just a brainless dramedy - that's what I thought initially as well - but it does have the makings of a light-hearted social commentary/satire with amusing caricatures of Singaporeans. Though not without its failings, it is great for a few laughs, and the ensemble cast boasting many experienced thespians and former A-listers deliver with aplomb. Li Yin Zhu's "Auntie Automatic" is thoroughly classic, and definitely one of the most memorable and hilarious characters to grace local screens. I'm rooting for her to win the best supporting actress Star Award! And I must add, the newcomer playing Carol(Xiu Zhen) is uber chio and the best thing is, she can act!

I started catching “青蛙王子拜金女” midway and it's pretty much fluff. Nothing serious or thought-provoking, but somehow interesting enough to keep me watching. Along the lines of "My Sassy Girlfriend", I guess. I like the way they do humour in Korean dramas - it somehow manages to be slapstick and understated at the same time. Their comic timing is so different, which is probably what makes it refreshing.

If you're wondering why this couch potato is tanned, it's not because of the UV rays from all that TV viewing. I got a healthy dose of vitamin D when I went cycling with my army mates last Sunday. We covered much of the Eastern Coast Park Connector Network, and Louis estimates that we covered at least 35km over 5 hours with a lunch stopover at Changi Village. Way to go, man. Cycling must be the most enjoyable form of exercise - I just love the breeze in my face and the feeling of speed. But we almost died at all the up-slopes. And the weather was so erratic - super sunny one moment and it started raining the next. Agonised over where to have dinner and finally settled on Carl's Junior @ Suntec because of the free flow drinks. -_-" LOL. But the burger was nice!

Rock climbing next week? Let's see how it goes. For now, the TV and that comfortable couch is beckoning. Ciao!