October 14, 2005

We're All Superficial (Part 1)

Hmmm thought this would be a good topic to discuss, plus can tie in with the stuff I read on Zejia's blog regarding "shi li pai" and "ou xiang pai", whom I shall dub the "singers" and "lookers" respectively. An important thing to note is that these are not mutually exclusive, coz u have pple like Stef, JJ, etc. LOL. I hear "dissenting" voices, but Stef just got the Golden Melody Awards last year for "best female vocalist", so I reckon she deserves some respect. As for JJ, if you have heard him sing "live" before, you should know his vocal prowess.

Ok to save myself the trouble of paraphrasing (since it's not GP...), I shall just quote directly the "contentious" points made. I'm not trying to turn this into an online debate lah, but I feel there are a few points that are worth discussing. It's all IMHO and YMMV (for all of you who dunno what these mean, u need to come online more often...).

"Sometimes, I juz hope people around me can be less li zhi and less intellectual, but dun wan too du one la. Haha, contradicting sia. I mean, ya, clever people like them, would go for shi li pai singers, cos they are good. Ya, I understand and think they should be idolized. But, well, it seems as if they are all too much into this shi li pai thingy."

Not all intellectual pple go for the singers lah, that's a generalisation. Maybe you feel that's the trend for people around you, but many clever pple also like lookers. When Stef debuted, she was promoted as a looker (I know she's not very chio lah, but she's got a very charming smile and personality). Her singing was pretty bad then, esp. live, but I have supported her since then.

"Well, I'm both into ou xiang and shi li pai, my idols are SHE and JJ/lihong, ya, got ou xiang pai and shi li pai one. I get to appreciate both in this sense. But people around me none into ou xiang pai one. So it seems as if I'm so bai chi and stupid to like SHE. But... I still like them, so I wouldn't care haha. However at times, it is juz maddening to hear them saying things abt SHE and me liking them. I mean, I dun criticise you or your idols, why should you. Juz hold your tongue. Ya, I'm fu qian and bai chi, so what, I juz like them."


Live with the criticism lah, we all have different preferences, and one man's meat is another's poison. You wouldn't be so concerned if you're confident about your idol, and know that all that criticism isn't valid. Like pple used to condemn Stef but I just shook it off. What's most important is that you get something from supporting your idol, not what others say about them. Anw liking lookers doesn't mean that you are extra superficial, it's in fact pretty normal coz we're all superficial(will discuss this in more detail later).

Ok this is getting too long, so I shall do a follow-up tml. Ciao.