August 8, 2007

Block Leave Musings 2: Green & Driving

The weather nowadays is so unbearably hot, you can't even walk 20m without sweating. No wonder travel agencies are making brisk business selling tours to temperate countries. I was driving today and I could feel the scorching heat even in the comforts of the air-conditioned vehicle.

Anyway we all know the global climate system is screwed up because of global warming. So the environment has become a pet cause for many people and corporations alike. I reckon it's much cooler now to tell people that you are from the "Green Club", compared to during our time. LOL.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Even with questionable intents (such as it being "cool" to be associated with green-ness, PR ploys), at least people on the ground are being exposed to the issues and making some semblance of effort to do their part, such as by using less plastic bags.

It's certainly the issue of the moment, but it remains to be seen how much longer it will remain in the public eye, and whether there is political will to carry forth the efforts at, and commitment to reducing greenhouse emissions.

Well enough of green talk. The days seem to fly by without me doing much. I've had driving lessons for the past few days and that's about it. I haven't even found time to watch the Simpsons movie, Disturbia, or Knocked Up, even though I planned to. And tomorrow is National Day, so I'll probably be going on a food trip with the family and return home in time to watch the first ever NDP held at Marina Bay.

That's all the plans I have for now, so anyone's free to date me for most of the rest of the week (except this Sat) and next week until I manage to snag any more driving lesson slots. Anyway I've booked my TP slot for early December, but I'm not really sure I can complete all the lessons by then, having yet to discharge my NS obligations. ORD is so near yet so far... Have to pia now while I have the time, then hopefully I can have my dad's car for the weekends asap!

But driving isn't as fun as I thought - must concentrate, look here, see there, coordinate, etc. etc. I'm getting the hang of it, but still, it's made me reconsider a car as not only an expensive investment, but also a potentially tiring proposition as opposed to just letting the taxi uncle drive you along while you take a nap behind or simply enjoy the passing scenery. And if you go back to the environmental argument, it's definitely more green to go public, so yeah, there seems to be many reasons against getting a car, at least for now.

Zebra tells me many of his privileged faculty mates own cars, and I don't really see the point. They are just income-less students (most of them), and it's not like they need to zoom around for business, so why do they need a car? Even if I had the money, I think I won't get a car until I start working. But then again, of course I'd say that because I don't really have the money. LOL.