July 22, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Disclaimer: Spoilers abound. Proceed at your own risk.

A mighty good read, and a worthy conclusion to a phenomenal series. J.K. Rowling has outdone us all with her remarkable plotting, weaving a gripping tale with such vividity and poignancy that it'd be impossible not to be moved and unreservedly impressed, especially for those who have grown up with the characters.

And as if taking a leaf from Orwell's book (pun intended), she has satirised the series (the Nazi regime being of particular interest) to ensure her books a place among the literary classics. As if it wasn't enough that they have become the best-selling tombs in modern history, and she herself is set to rival Roald Dahl as one of the favourite children's fiction author of all-time, becoming a billionaire in the process.

I'm now overwhelmed with this warm, fuzzy feeling after reading the exhilarating ending, and the genial epilogue. The resolution certainly didn't disappoint, and the final showdown must have been the climax of all the climaxes. I could virtually feel myself in the Great Hall, withholding my breath as I witness the duel that had been hinted at since the Prophecy was revealed.

Of course, the deaths were disturbing, especially the one of a certain house-elf, but the character that has seared himself into my memory is probably the one who redeemed himself eventually, as most would have guessed.

Before I give away any more of the story, I think it's time to stop gushing and let those who haven't read it for themselves. Cheerios.