July 27, 2007

Bleh

Had my first driving lesson today. Didn't go well coz I just couldn't concentrate on so many things - switch gears, depress/release the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals to various degrees, steer, and look where I'm going- all at once.

Didn't help that my instructor kept sarcastically telling me "what's the point of me teaching you when you aren't even listening?" (as if I wasn't trying hard enough) and "if you can't even see where you're going, how do you expect me to teach you where to turn?". Sigh. It just got on my nerves and made me more error-prone.

I must admit I'm quite slow and have some psychomotor problems, but hello, it's my first lesson, and steering is not like walking or cycling - a large part of your visual field is blocked and you can't really see where your wheels are moving... And it isn't exactly easy to find and maintain the biting point on the clutch pedal, and not over-depress the accelerator pedal for a smooth move off. I have no idea how bad my problem is, but I was under the impression that these problems are pretty common among new learners, so I was all the more surprised that my instructor had such little patience.

The worse thing is, I'm stuck with this instructor (and another whom I've yet to meet) under this fixed group scheme for the rest of my lessons. I wonder how I'm ever going to pass... Hopefully the other one is better.