May 4, 2007

Mood swings

I've been having mood swings lately. Not the PMS kind, obviously. Just that I'm usually jovial and rational out of camp, but in low spirits and irritable within.

The past few weeks have been hectic and tumultous. So I'm thankful for a short break this week, which also explains my lighter mood. Went back to read my previous posts and I really seem like a different person in some of them. Not to say I regret what I've written, or that my opinion has changed, just that the way some of it was expressed is so... not me.

But it's probably the spontaniety of these posts that reflects the most genuine of feelings, at least at that point in time. Something more politically-correct and mundane would have resulted had more rumination gone into them, and there goes the beauty of blogging, isn't it, when everything is embellished and rationalised?

Like today, I was all prepared to talk about feeling fortunate and blessed compared to people in third world countries and all, so I should complain less and be grateful for all that I have, which is so very true - and so easy to say when you are not thrusted into all that shit. But then I realised, when you are in the thick of it, all the negativity comes in and you forget about the lofty statements.

So, unless you have experienced what others are experiencing, get off your high horse and don't try to judge them by your standards. You say you can empathise, but you can't unless you've been through it yourself. Don't assume you know, because to assume is to make an ass out of u and me.