February 22, 2007

Gong Hei FAT Choy

Hmmm it's 初五 already! Time flies when you're having fun. But actually, this CNY hasn't been so fun after all. Besides all the flashy new clothes, ang pow, and good food, CNY has become a mundane affair for me. It's not that I don't value tradition, or think celebrating CNY is passe, but I'm not particularly close to my relatives so 拜年 isn't all that fun.

There's only so much niceties you can exchange, and perennial topics like marriage and kids have become taboo when you know people are too old to get married anymore, it'd only embarrass both parties to ask. I really envy those families that gamble/play mahjong over CNY as it really brings up the festive spirit, and helps kill time.

In recent years, attention at CNY gatherings has been diverted variously to my cousin's dog, and this year, to my 9-month old niece. She's so cute and cuddly, I only resisted the urge to pinch her for fear that she'd cry. My mum told me that it's just because there's hardly anything to hold a conversation about, so woo-ah-ing over the baby would relieve the awkward situation, and I wholly agree with her. Luckily, I brought my Naruto manga along this year, so I didn't have to stone on the sofa pretending to watch TV, gorge myself with CNY goodies, or attempt to join the conversation.

Speaking of CNY goodies, I've been eating so much that I have put on 2kg (FAT!) over these past few weeks! It's a wonder I still have my voice. But nvm, I will be working hard to shed those kilos for the rest of the week, in preparation for the monstrous training schedule coming up. This is probably the last long break we will get before ATEC ends, so there's nothing to be envious about.