September 1, 2006

Happy Teachers' Day!!

Clearing off this week (Wed - Fri), coz I would be posted out of HQ coy to Kaffir coy starting next week, marking the beginning of the dreaded 5.5-day work week. Some of the others who got posted out are understandably desolate, but I just see it as another posting which is beyond my control, like being posted to SI as a signaller, or 42 SAR. No biggie. Though I must concede that the prospect of booking out 18 hours later than my HQ counterparts is not exactly welcome.

Went back to Chinese High and HC to visit the teachers yesterday. Only managed to catch Mrs Chan, Miss Wong, Mr Tang, Miss Kee (PW), and Mr Tan Yang (Chinese), but it felt good to speak to them again, esp. Mrs Chan after all those years. I am really grateful to have met all these great teachers, without whom I wouldn't have achieved all that I've achieved. And mighty thanks for the help and well wishes!

After that met with zejia, jun wen and "the girls" for lunch and then movie. Watched "Snakes on a Plane", and it was a really 'sick' flick. You get to see all kinds of snakes (among them the python, cobra and rattle snakes) bite the hapless plane passengers at various (including the most sensitive) body parts. It was morbid and disconcerting (got me squirming uncomfortably in my seat), but hilarious at the same time, and jun wen and I were chuckling at certain parts, indulging in the perverse pleasure of watching the characters' unglamorous end. Overall it was a whole lot of fun, and one of the 'scariest' movies I have seen in a while. For a B-grade movie, i.e. one with no overt attempt at having a plot or being artistic, it's great entertainment and provides all that you'd expect from its title, and a little bit more.

For the record, I have nothing against "the girls". In fact they are quite a nice bunch, more sensible than some others I've seen. Like they don't hog the mike when we go K together (unlike some 7A girls...), make an effort to be sensitive, and gamely agreed to watching the ghastly "Snakes" instead of "The Devil Wears Prada" yesterday, even though I suggested we split up to watch the 2 movies instead. But as always, I don't like neurotic and bimbotic girls, so when those manifest, I'd prefer to distance myself.

Supposed to go for steamboat at Marina later with my platoon mates before we get posted out, but I am not feeling well, so wouldn't be going. Anw I need all the rest and we wouldn't have the luxury of clearing so many days' off again anytime soon.