June 9, 2006

Be Contented

This has been a "relac" week thanks to the 2-day leave we were granted on Monday and Tuesday, and off today. Don't be envious coz we're actually wasting leave, which I'd rather save for more important occasions. Plus it's a real waste of time going back to camp for 2 days (but had to book in on Tue night) only to realise that there's really nothing for us to do except saigang (as usual...).

Fortunately, I had guard duty on Wednesday, so at least it wasn't that bad. I was assigned to prowl, and coz it was my first time prowling Gedong, I had an "experienced" partner who knew the route. He's an AI (armour-infantry) gunner from Jaguar, quite a nice guy, and we chatted about our respective experiences in NS thus far. Apparently he's one of the less fortunate guys from JC/Tekong BMT who got posted to AI with most of the mono intake people. He was telling me how "xiong" company line is and I really empathised with him, even though I have a hunch I would join him very soon... Touch wood, LOL.

Sometimes I just wonder how Mindef assigns everyone to their respective vocations. I know that commanders are chosen based on their performance in BMT, signallers are chosen based on their results (well I've mentioned this in my previous post), but what about the riflemen, arti guys, engineers, scouts, medics, combat clerks, etc.? Though life is never fair, the disparity in "xiongness" of training and in essence, the "quality of life" in NS and later reservice, are so drastic that you sometimes wonder whether it is some computer in CMPB that sealed your fate.

Even as I look upon the combat clerks and seethe at their enviably good life, I thank God for not sending me to Guards or AI. Unlike the commanders, who are getting high pay and status(rank) for their "suffering", these are men who are going through equally tough (if not tougher) training but getting such meagre pay in return. I actually feel slightly ashamed when I speak with these hapless counterparts of mine who are in more xiong vocations, for complaining about my vocation when they are actually having it so much worse.

So I think the greatest take-home message is to be contented with what you have, because there are always people who are going through more trying times, and you should take solace in the fact that you are much more fortunate than so many others. It's human nature to complain, to feel jealous, to think others are having it easy or just plain lucky. But it's more important to be optimistic even if you end up somewhere you don't wish to be, and make the most of it, just as Chang Jin does wherever she goes.

For those who think Da Chang Jin is just a run-of-the-mill Korean pulp drama, I've found it to be pretty inspiring. Plus all that scheming prepares you for life in the working world. For those interested, I can rent tbe DVD to you when I'm done watching. ;)