December 31, 2005

My Top 10 CDs of 2005

Instead of offering a retrospective look at the past year, I have decided, on this last day of 2005, to pick 10 noteworthy CDs amongst the 25 odd that I bought in the past 12 months. Sorry I don't download songs, so the selection is pretty limited and if your favourite album isn't up there,too bad. =P I have put them in order of my personal preference.

1. 五月天: 知足最真杰作选
What can I say, all the greatest hits, and I really love all the new songs!! I was actually quite disappointed with their previous 2 albums, but this one reminded me of the Mayday during their good old days. An album that should not be missing from any decent collection.

2. F.I.R.: 无限
The trio's sophomore album which met with with mixed reviews. Personally I didn't like it initially too, but it grew on me after putting it on "loop" for a week. A good mix of upbeat tracks and memorable rock ballads, overall a diverse and universally appealing sound that surpasses their debut album in all respects (except originality...).

3. 孙燕姿: 完美的一天
Well, my first ever and no. 1 idol. I wouldn't bear to place her out of the top 3. But she certainly deserves this spot based on merit, for her willingless to experiment and move away from commercial pop. There isn't a song as endearing as 同类, but quite a few decent tracks, and she demonstrates that she has matured not only as a singer, but also as a composer and producer.

4. Mika Nakashima: Best
Remarkably mellow vocals, and the arrangements are refreshingly different from mandopop and English pop. You don't have to understand Japanese to fall in love with the catchy melody and silky-smooth delivery.

5. 林俊杰: 编号89757
My favourite male artiste, relegated to 5th spot probably because his album was released relatively early in the year. I didn't like the title track, and his other hits are sorta overplayed (on radio as well as at KTV...). Nevertheless, a laudable effort in coming up with a concept album (pretty rare nowadays in the mandopop scene) powered by his almost flawless vocal techniques.

6. Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms
7. Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
8. 陈绮贞: 华丽的冒险
8. 周杰伦: 十一月的萧邦
10. Corrine May: Fly Away

Honourable Mention:

  • Do As Infinity: Do the A-side
  • Utada Hikaru: Single Collection Vol. 1
  • Kate Bush: Aerial